As usual, on a bleary eyed monday morning, not nearly ready to face another gruelling week at work, I neglected to have the foresight to get anything out of the freezer to cook for dinner. Thus with no nice meat or fish defrosted and no desire to pop to the shops on the way home from a long day I was faced with the challenge of cooking from the cupboard and the fridge leftovers. Again.
Now this certainly isn’t pretty food, but it does the job and fills a hole. And actually tastes a damn sight better than the picture looks.
My ‘leftovers’ pasta.
- Half a red pepper
- Half a red onion
- 1 red chilli
- Remaining half a packet of pancetta from sundays dinner
- Handful of capers
- 1 anchovy
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small pot natural greek yoghurt
- juice half lemon
- 1 egg yolk
- handful grated parmesan and extra for the end
- 2 handfuls pasta (or more if your hungry!)
- Chop the pancetta, pepper, chilli, onion, garlic, anchovy and capers and gently fry in wok
Boil pan of water and add pasta and a little salt.
Combine the yoghurt, lemon juice and egg yolk in a bowl and then stir through the parmesan.
When pasta cooked, drain and add to the wok. Take off the heat and stir through.
Pour sauce into the wok and stir thoroughly, the heat will gently cook the egg yolk without scrambling it.
Serve, season, extra parmesan if you wish!