This is my own spin on a stir fry with a few of my favourite things – duck and asparagus. Its easy to make and not very time consuming so good for a weekday evening for a quick dinner. You can change the veg, or add more to adapt it to what you like or whats in your fridge. The cantonese style sauce is roughly based on a recipe from Gary Rhodes on BBC Good Food, with a couple of additions and bits taken away.
- 2 tsp veg oil
- 1 tsp galangal or ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 2 duck breasts, skin on
- 3 strips orange zest (all pith removed)
- 4 tbsp water
- half a red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- ½ chicken stock cube
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- ½ lime, juice only
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- half red pepper
- 4 spring onions
- 12 spears asparagus
- peanuts (optional) to garnish
- For the Cantonese-style sauce, heat the oil in a frying pan until hot, add the ginger and fry for one minute, then add the garlic and chilli.
- Reduce the heat and cook gently for five minutes, then transfer to a dish and set aside.
Place the pan used for the garlic and ginger back over a medium heat and place the two duck breasts into the pan, skin-side down. Cook until golden-brown on both sides, then place onto a baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and roast for ten minutes, or until cooked through.
Remove from the oven and set the duck breasts aside in a warm place.
Return the garlic and ginger to the pan the duck was cooked in, add the orange zest and place on a medium heat. Add the water and half a stock cube to the pan, stir well and bring to the boil.
Add the cider vinegar, honey and a dash of soy sauce, reduce the heat and simmer gently for five minutes. Add the lime juice, season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir.
In a separate pan fry off the spring onion and pepper and asparagus
Add the pepper and spring onion and asparagus to the sauce.
9. To serve, cut the duck breasts into slices and divide between two serving plates. Drizzle over the sauce and serve with rice, and garnishes.