Possibly my favourite chocolate is Terrys Chocolate Orange (well, its definitely in the top 3..) so a few weeks ago I decided I was going to make a cake full of it. In the sponge, icing and for decoration. It might be chocolate orange overload, but I don’t care! It turned out pretty rich, but in small slices, was delicious. And the buttercream was something else, could have eaten the whole bowl on its own! So here’s the recipe for my Terrys choc orange overload cake. Of course….other orange chocolate is available (but not as good!)
For the sponge;
- 250g butter
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1tbsp cocoa powder
- 250g self raising flour
- 100g Terrys dark chocolate orange, broken into little chunks
- 100g terry chocolate orange with popping candy, also broken into little chunks
For the icing;
- 100g Terrys milk chocolate orange
- 200g butter
- 400g icing sugar
- A mixture of terry chocolate orange segments
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees, grease and line two 20cm springform cake tins.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and just as it completely melts add in the 100g dark chocolate orange pieces. Remove from the heat and stir until all dissolved.
- Add in the sugar and eggs and stir until all completely combined.
Sift together the flour and cocoa, then fold into the batter until all mixed well.
Add in and fold through the broken pieces of popping candy chocolate orange.
Pour the mixture equally into the two tins and bake for about 25-30 mins, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Turn out of the tins and leave to cool completely.
To make the buttercream, first melt the milk chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water, then leave to cool
Beat together the butter and icing sugar by hand or in a free standing mixer until fluffy then stir in the molten chocolate.
When the cakes are cool, spread 1/3 of the icing on the top of one cake, and sandwich with the other cake, then cover the top with icing and decorate as you please.
Happy eating 🙂
Disclosure: Despite what you may think, Terrys did not pay me to write this recipe, or supply any of the chocolate for it. I just love it!