I really love Spring. Probably the biggest reason for this is asparagus. I simply adore the stuff. For the couple of months that it is in season I buy at least 2 bunches a week! The credit for this recipe certainly goes to Mr Foodie Couple. Its simple to do but is delicious and perfect for a spring weekend lunch.
Chargrilling or griddling the courgette and asparagus then putting them hot into the already made dressing makes it absorb better and also imparts the chargrilled flavour into the dressing as well (or so Lee tells me!) The goats cheese adds another dimension and a bit of creaminess and the addition of a few pumpkin seeds scattered over at the end gives a much needed crunch.
For the salad
- 10-12 asparagus spears – woody ends removed and then stems peeled
- 1 large courgette – ends removed then vertical slices cut thinly with a peeler or mandolin
- 2 baby gem lettuces – root removed and leaves separated
- 1 large handful rocket
- 100g goats cheese – roughly broken up
- 1 handful pumpkin seeds
For the dressing:
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 150ml rapeseed oil
- squeeze lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- First make the dressing; put the mustard, lemon and vinegar in a bowl and mix together. Then slowly trickle in the rapeseed oil, whisking all the time. Add salt and pepper to your taste. Set aside.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and then blanch the asparagus for 2 minutes, then refresh (put into ice water)
- Heat a griddle pan. Rub the courgettes and asparagus with a little rapeseed oil then chargrill for about 1-2 minutes on each side until nicely charred.
Put straight into the dressing and toss together.
Assemble the lettuce and rocket and goats cheese on plates, then top with the courgette and asparagus and a couple of tbsp of dressing drizzled over. Scatter over the pumpkin seeds and serve!
Happy eating 🙂