Everyone loves a good cupcake right? Well in an effort to make cupcakes healthy these have blueberries in them! Who I’m kidding, they’re just as unhealthy as ever. A few blueberries int he sponge gives a lovely tangy twist with the optional extra of sweet blueberry jam and then the meringue in the icing makes these like a blueberry twist on an Eton Mess! If you’re partial to a blueberry muffin then try this indulgent alternative!
For the sponge:
- 80g unsalted butter
- 280g caster sugar
- 240g plain flour
- 240ml whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- about 30 blueberries
For the buttercream and filling:
- 500g icing sugar
- 160g unsalted butter
- 50ml milk
- crushed meringue – 20g or 2 medium sized supermarket bought nests
- 1 tsp Dr Oetker gel purple food colouring
- blueberry jam
- Whisk the butter, caster sugar, flour, salt and baking powder together until thoroughly mixed
- In a separate bowl add the milk and whisk in the eggs
- Slowly add the milk mixture to the other mixture whisking all the time until it becomes a smooth batter
- Line a muffin tin with cases and distribute the batter into them – filling each about 1/2-2/3 full. Pop 1-2 blueberries in each cake case.
- Put in the oven at 190 degrees celsius and bake for about 18mins or until springy to touch and a skewer comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool whilst making the frosting
- For the frosting mix the icing sugar with the butter until completely mixed in.
- Beat in the milk and meringue until light and fluffy.
- Add in the colouring and mix until the colour is even.
- Ice the cakes when completely cool, either with a piping bag or palette knife
Extra Step! If you’re feeling adventurous, before you ice the cakes, with a knife or cutter, hollow out about a 1cm wide hole in the middle of each cupcake, fill with blueberry jam and then recover with sponge and proceed with the icing!
Happy eating 🙂
If you’re looking for some other fruity cupcake to try have a look at some of these recipes:
Cherry Cheesecake Cupcakes by The Veg Space
Coconut Cupcakes with Raspberry Apple Syrup from Family Friends Food
Blackberry & Apple Cupcakes from Tin and Thyme